Wow, I must have put everything on a single day – an exclusive with the upload of the new photos of Puteri Indonesia 2018 Sonia Fergina, a special with the union of Catriona Gray & Sarah Rose Summers in New York and now, a senti feature with the death of Miss Universe 1995 Chelsi Smith who succumbed to liver cancer. A sad day in the (Miss) Universe, I should add.
The sisterhood has lost a member today with her demise. And it is just fitting that I share a video of her crowning moment in Windhoek, Namibia more than twenty years ago today.
Miss Universe 2018 Candidates together in Sherri Hill for #NYFW – Miss Universe Philippines 2018 Catriona Gray and Miss USA 2018 Sarah Rose Summers.
According to my reliable source in Bangkok, these two ladies are the most popular for the Thais. They are the considered early pre-arrival frontrunners.
Let’s see if they can keep up with the current status until arrival in the Land of Smiles by late November. #CatrionaGray #SarahRoseSummers #MissUniverse2018
The video above of top Thai MUA Bryan Tan is in their language. So I sought my contact in Bangkok (who is a pageant follower) to have the video summarized for its important points. Suffice it to say that, the one-minute video of Catriona right after the announcement of Bangkok, Thailand as host city of Miss Universe 2018 was more than enough to jump start a sudden rise in popularity for her. In fact, the Thais are reportedly switching their support from their Sophida Kanchanarin to our Miss Universe Philippines 2018.
Here are the rough translations in bullet form:
– He likes the strategy of Miss Philippines and he thinks Cat is No. 1 for Miss Universe 2018. Cat can win the crown as Thais are moved by the video.
– First after the video of Catriona was released, it gained huge popularity among Thai supporters such that she already has a huge fan base.
– most of the Thais appreciate not only her beauty but her will and hunger to win. They appreciate the hardwork.
– Thai fans see that there are prettier candidates but Catriona is someone they can look up to. And they are eagerly awaiting for her arrival in November.
– Bryan is wowed by the preparation of the Philippines and sees our bet as a good tactician. But one thing that he is concerned about is if MUO will see Catriona as too prepared and rehearsed. Anything too much won’t be good.
– Bryan added that there should no longer be fighting between Thais and Pinoys this year.
My Thai contact added that the second most popular pre-arrival candidate is Miss USA Sarah Rose Summers. And she is being seen as the biggest threat to our bet. Running third in popularity is Angela Ponce of Spain, although the mixed reactions to her candidacy is still very much prevalent.
What your early thoughts, dear readers?
Miss Universe 2018 is not all about our very own Catriona Gray.
Meet eight (8) other ladies who are either the perceived early favorites or equally popular representatives of their respective countries.
Here are Misses USA, South Africa, Venezuela, Vietnam, Australia, Ecuador, Spain and host delegate Thailand.
Miss USA Sarah Rose Summers
Miss South Africa Tamaryn Green
Miss Venezuela Sthefany Gutiérrez
Miss Vietnam H’Hen Nie
Miss Australia Francesca Hung
Miss Ecuador Virginia Limongi
Miss Spain Angela Ponce
Miss Thailand Sophida Kanchanarin
Sarah Rose Summers of Nebraska wins Miss USA 2018. A Registered Nurse, she impressed the judges with her beauty and smarts, especially during the Q&A portion. She succeeds Kara McCullough who was the host delegate during Miss Universe 2017 in Las Vegas.
Sarah will now take part in Miss Universe 2018 later this year, along with our very own Catriona Gray.