Photo credit: Ameer of Missosology
When William “Wigo” Gonzales made his homecoming to Batam after winning the top crown in Mister Tourism Indonesia 2018 last week, he showed the right amount of self-confidence that must have paved the way for him to bring back a national achievement to Riau Islands Province which he represented.
“The selection was super tight. But I was not unnerved because I had full preparations – both before going to Batam and the competition period” said Wigo.
“I also got an assignment from the Putra Pariwisata Indonesia Organization. I will visit several tourist sites in Indonesia which I will promote. Soon, I will re-visit Bali first.” he added.
Just last night, your blogger was able to conduct an online one-on-one with Wigo and below is a transcript of our exchange:
1. Tell me something about yourself.
“My name is William Gonzales, Well-known as Wigo and I was born in batam 25 years ago. I graduated from The University of International of Batam Major in Bachelor of International Marketing Science. I love travelling. Exploring new cultures and culinary specialties are always my passion. I am a highly ambitious person and always excited to learn and experience everything about life.”
2. How does it feel winning Mr Universe Tourism Indonesia 2018? In your opinion, how will this change your life?
“I am proud of myself. I believe that every dream will come true when people dare to start and work hard for it and of course, thinking out of the box and out of the comfort zone will change every single person’s life.”
3. Representing a pageant-loving country like Indonesia to an international competition is a huge responsibility with a high expectations. How will you handle the pressure?
“This is the simple thing I should share to everyone, Life is short, just enjoy it and everything will be easy.”
4. By May, 2019, you will go for a back-to-back win in the 3rd edition of Mr Universe Tourism in Manila, Philippines. What is your early game plan to achieve the victory?
“Self preparation is needed, not only physical but knowledge or mental. Talent and public speaking are also important for the competition because I believe that every effort will never betray the results.”
5. Any message to your countrymen and fans across the world of male pageantry in Indonesia and other parts of the world?
“I just want to say thank you for all people who supporting me, and I hope all the supporters will come not only from Indonesia but all over the world. Cheers. Mabuhay. Salamat Po!”
As Mister Tourism Indonesia 2018, William automatically holds the title of Mr Universe Tourism Indonesia 2018. He will represent his country come May, 2019 when the 3rd Edition of Mr. Universe Tourism is once more hosted in the Philippines.