Arcel Yambing and his high-fashion look (center). All final casting photos courtesy of Dennis Natividad.
Arcel (right) getting his Misters shirt from Neil Perez (Photo credit: Joy Arguil)
I can clearly recall the announcement of the chosen candidates of Misters 2015 The Pageant during the final casting at Fisher Mall. Host JP Anonuevo called out the name of Arcel Yambing last among the 17. After that, the loudest cheers filled the entire Atrium area. This guy from Bacolor, Pampanga has a lot of fans and supporters, which no longer came as a surprise. He has the eye-pleasing oriental look that can instantly hook the audience. And the minute he took his spot on the centerstage, most everyone is in agreement that this could be his most important journey to date.
A crossover from the local fashion world, 25 year-old Arcel has paid his dues on the ramp and developed himself into a very reliable model with a string of assignments from Philippine Fashion Week to various editorial shoots to more runway bookings with some of our noted Designers. And you can tell in his stance and smooth swagger how much he has improved that the other candidates can only observe his style and maybe try to emulate a bit of his signature walk.
Arcel during a Philippine Fashion Week stint
But don’t think even for one second that the glamour of being a fashion model has gone to his head. Arcel remains grounded and shows his humility without hesitation. In fact, he continues to help out in farming the family’s parcel of land in the province. He doesn’t mind getting all muddied up at all.
But let’s do away with the tinge of drama. Time to focus now on his Q&A.
An editorial shot of Arcel
1) As a Misters of Pilipinas 2015 candidate, give me a 30-second intro about yourself which will make followers show more interest in you.
I’m Arcel Yambing, 25 years of age. I come from a farming family that lives a simple life in Pampanga. Whenever I’m not working in Manila, I make sure that I spend most of my time with them. I know how hard life is that’s why every piece of harvested rice must be treated with much importance for me.
2) As one of the candidates, what image do you want to show the others?
My image should be like that of a choir member singing songs with a lot of heart. In Tagalog, it means simple pero malaman ang puso.
3) In Miss Universe, a popular running line is “yellow is the color of joy”. What color best represents you?
I can say that Gold is the color that best represents me. Matapang pero hindi masakit sa mata. Its like standing out but showing fairness and balance in glitter.
4) Not everyone can win a special award in the competition, but if you are qualified for the following, which would you prefer to win: Mister Friendship or Mister Talent?
I prefer to win both Mister Friendship and Mister Talent because I know that I am capable of getting the two awards. Joke lang po. I would be happy getting any of the two. But if not, it’s only because there are others who are more deserving than me.
5) If you win one of the titles, people will expect you to be a good role model. How will you start building that image if ever?
No one starts showing his good side just because nanalo siya or something. The more important thing is to continuously show the good attitude expected of a Misters 2015 winner or candidate, manalo man o matalo.
Arcel during Bodyshots 2014
6. Having joined a nationwide modeling search (Bodyshots) last year, what difference do you expect in terms of handling the competition? Will you adopt a new gameplan?
I’m expecting a higher level of competition, more challenging than Bodyshots. At the same time, I hope to enjoy the whole ride with the other Misters and the people behind this because I can learn a lot, like how to improve my self-esteem. I plan to train double-time to improve myself better.
7. How do you expect your life to change after being named an Official Candidate of Misters 2015?
It’s like being the member of a new family that can mold me into being a good man as well as learn new things for my improvement. Sa totoo lang po, it must be like I’m some sort of celebrity in a way.
8) Any message to your followers, Arcel?
To my followers, I will never get tired of thanking all of you always. From the start, you have been by my side, laging naka-suporta, win or lose. Please stay with me in this new goal.
With his oriental looks and runway savvy, Arcel could be gunning for the Model International title (Photo credit: Lito Caleon)