The Bb. Pilipinas 1982 Titleholders
courtesy of Francis Calubaquib
More than three decades ago today, the finals of Bb. Pilipinas 1982 was held and it still remains to be a personal favorite. In fact, this is – I believe – the second time that I am featuring the said edition. There are just so many nostalgically memorable details to list. Here are ten for now.
1) The presence alone of the late iconic ladies Rita Gomez and Elvira Manaham in the judging panel was already worth the ticket price or watching the long TV telecast on GMA-7. Of course, the Q&A of the former with eventual Bb. Pilipinas Universe 1982 Maria Isabel Lopez is still the wittiest – or naughtiest if you will – in the history of the pageant. And the small quirkiness in their actions during the crowning moments adds up to a fonder recall of the whole event (as you can watch in the video above).
2) Brand new Mitsubishi Colt Lancers for Bb. Pilipinas Universe and Bb. Pilipinas International aside from Php 15,000.00 pesos each – this was already a big deal because we have no longer seen top winners getting cars as prizes to this day anymore.
3) I still miss Ariel Ureta as host because he has a smooth way of navigating the whole proceedings, while throwing in his well-thought of adlibs with perfect timing. He may not be suave like the late Eddie Mercado but he has a commercially appealing charm all his own.
4) I wish the Miss Young Pilipinas title would still be around. Even if the winner will have no international contest to compete in, the prestige of the crown will still be there. But then again, the modern trend is to always go for more experience nowadays so ladies in their early to mid-20s will always be favored.
5) Desiree Verdadero may not be the earliest-recorded Bb. Pilipinas returning candidate, but she is one of the most successful during that generation. She placed 1st Runner-Up in this edition, but returned two years later to successfully capture the Bb. Pilipinas Universe title with the help of her trainer/mentor Mama Renee Salud. It only goes to show that maturity really improves the performance and approach of a determined Binibini who wants to win a national crown.
6) The announcement of winners while still wearing their swimsuits is now a lingering memory that will never return or make a comeback. Nowadays, it would be unimaginable for reasons we are all aware of.
7) The sash. How can I forget the short sashes which only need to be folded-in on one end to the upper right strap of the swimsuit to keep them in place, with the other end being folded in as well on the lower left portion of the one-piece. These days, sashes are long enough to be placed over the head of the winner and/or secured by pins or velcro in the attaching portion.
8) The scepters. Gosh, I want them back. Honestly. They give the winners an added sense of royalty. And I have always been interested in seeing how the beauty queens would hold them in different ways, or how their fingers would grab them in photos.
9) The capes. Now these heavy and velvety drapes may already be lost in translation to modern pageant fans, but they sure looked good on the winners. Tying them on the back can be very trying to the outgoing Queens, though.
10) Lastly, I really wouldn’t mind seeing the winners announced from the Top 15 all over again. The element of suspense keeps watchers on the edge of their seats till the big winner is named.
Do you have any more memorable detail/s to add, dear readers?