1982 may not be the year of memorable pageant missions for the Bb. Pilipinas titleholders, but the national finals certainly was one of the more entertaining ones ever. Just imagine having the likes of Ms. Rita Gomez and Elvira Manahan in the panel of judges. I reckon that the duo may have helped push for the win of the controversial Maria Isabel Lopez as Bb. Pilipinas Universe. Other winners were Lisa Manibog, Nanette Cruz and Sharon Hughes. Desiree Verdadero – who eventually became Bb. Pilipinas Universe 1984 and Miss Universe 1984 3rd Runner-Up – placed 1st Runner-Up in this batch.
First off, watch the opening number of Miss Universe 1982 and count how many times you can spot Miss Philippines Maria Isabel Lopez in the exciting march and rigodon-laden choreography of this edition.
courtesy of Alexa2224
Fast forward to 2016.
Now this is not the first time that Maribel actually made an appearance in Cannes for a movie she appeared in. But take note of how she actually got sexier as she matured. The video and photo comparison below of how she looked like as Binibini 15 of Bb. Pilipinas 1982 and during the recent World Premiere of “Ma’ Rosa” where she wore a green Albert Andrada number is proof that she was able to maintain her figure. Improved even, I might add.
courtesy of CarHere is the trailer of Ma’ Rosa.
courtesy of CineGarden
courtesy of Francis Calubaquib
More than three decades ago today, the finals of Bb. Pilipinas 1982 was held and it still remains to be a personal favorite. In fact, this is – I believe – the second time that I am featuring the said edition. There are just so many nostalgically memorable details to list. Here are ten for now.
1) The presence alone of the late iconic ladies Rita Gomez and Elvira Manaham in the judging panel was already worth the ticket price or watching the long TV telecast on GMA-7. Of course, the Q&A of the former with eventual Bb. Pilipinas Universe 1982 Maria Isabel Lopez is still the wittiest – or naughtiest if you will – in the history of the pageant. And the small quirkiness in their actions during the crowning moments adds up to a fonder recall of the whole event (as you can watch in the video above).
2) Brand new Mitsubishi Colt Lancers for Bb. Pilipinas Universe and Bb. Pilipinas International aside from Php 15,000.00 pesos each – this was already a big deal because we have no longer seen top winners getting cars as prizes to this day anymore.
3) I still miss Ariel Ureta as host because he has a smooth way of navigating the whole proceedings, while throwing in his well-thought of adlibs with perfect timing. He may not be suave like the late Eddie Mercado but he has a commercially appealing charm all his own.
4) I wish the Miss Young Pilipinas title would still be around. Even if the winner will have no international contest to compete in, the prestige of the crown will still be there. But then again, the modern trend is to always go for more experience nowadays so ladies in their early to mid-20s will always be favored.
5) Desiree Verdadero may not be the earliest-recorded Bb. Pilipinas returning candidate, but she is one of the most successful during that generation. She placed 1st Runner-Up in this edition, but returned two years later to successfully capture the Bb. Pilipinas Universe title with the help of her trainer/mentor Mama Renee Salud. It only goes to show that maturity really improves the performance and approach of a determined Binibini who wants to win a national crown.
6) The announcement of winners while still wearing their swimsuits is now a lingering memory that will never return or make a comeback. Nowadays, it would be unimaginable for reasons we are all aware of.
7) The sash. How can I forget the short sashes which only need to be folded-in on one end to the upper right strap of the swimsuit to keep them in place, with the other end being folded in as well on the lower left portion of the one-piece. These days, sashes are long enough to be placed over the head of the winner and/or secured by pins or velcro in the attaching portion.
8) The scepters. Gosh, I want them back. Honestly. They give the winners an added sense of royalty. And I have always been interested in seeing how the beauty queens would hold them in different ways, or how their fingers would grab them in photos.
9) The capes. Now these heavy and velvety drapes may already be lost in translation to modern pageant fans, but they sure looked good on the winners. Tying them on the back can be very trying to the outgoing Queens, though.
10) Lastly, I really wouldn’t mind seeing the winners announced from the Top 15 all over again. The element of suspense keeps watchers on the edge of their seats till the big winner is named.
Do you have any more memorable detail/s to add, dear readers? 🙂
She was Binibini 3 during Bb. Pilipinas 2014. And now, she can lay claim to a victory all her own.
KF-trained Joanna Angelica Romero drew on her rich pageant experience in the regional and national level, plus the guidance of the reality program’s resident mentors (she got assigned to Miss International 2005 Precious Lara Quigaman), to land on top and be crowned the Grand Winner of Pinay Beauty Queen Academy Season 1. The final challenge is the pageant itself that was aced by the pretty Bicolana in practically all fronts. She is followed by 2nd Placer Janelle Olafson and 3rd Placer Katrina Verde.
Congratulations to the Top 3 and Joanna in particular. Will we get to see her presence felt even more in 2015? 😉
Tonight, the Season 1 finale of Pinay Beauty Queen Academy – to be hosted by Ali Forbes and Lance Raymundo – will go live at the Newport Performing Arts Theatre of Resorts World Manila where the final challenge will be revealed and one top winner selected from the remaining contenders.
There is no confirmation yet on whether the #1 placer will be automatically fielded in one of the national beauty contests for 2015, but suffice it to say that whoever she is will have the right amount of confidence and transformation to enlist in the likes of MPE or Mutya.
By the way, the TV telecast of the finals will air tomorrow night at 9:45PM on GMA News TV. 😉
What: Pinay Beauty Queen Academy
When: Tonight at 9:45PM
Where: GMA News TV
What to expect: Four (4) mentors – Precious Lara Quigaman, Evangeline Pascual, Joyce Ann Burton-Titular and Maria Isabel Lopez – head four teams of five members each to try and hurdle different challenges while coaching each one of them in hopes improving their chances of becoming the true national Beauty Queens in the future.
Ali Forbes hosts with comic relief coming from Joy Viado.
This could be worth following. 😉
Starting October 4, Pinay Beauty Queen Academy will air on GMA News TV and every Saturday nights thereafter. The reality beauty pageant training and development search will have twenty (20) lovely Filipinas undergoing intensive polishing and make-overs on their way to becoming world-class stunners worthy of good shots for a national title.
Hosted by Miss Grand International 2013 3rd Runner-up and Bb. Pilipinas 2012 1st Runner-up Ali Forbes, the show will have four (4) respected mentors – Miss International 2005 Precious Lara Quigaman, Miss World 1973 1st Runner-up Evangeline Pascual, Bb. Pilipinas Universe 1985 Joyce Ann Burton-Titular and Bb. Pilipinas Universe 1982 Maria Isabel Lopez – who will each be assigned their team of wannabes similar to what is being done by the US/UK program “The Face”.
Let’s set aside our doubts and give this show a chance, dear readers. Who knows, it might even turn out better than expected. 🙂
P.S. By the way, you can support your favorite Pinay Beauty Queen Academy contender by texting PINAY(Number of Candidate) and send to 2929.
Here’s a big shout-out for friend and former Bb. Pilipinas-Universe Joyce Ann Burton-Titular who will be part of an upcoming reality TV show titled “Pinay Beauty Queen Academy” where she will be joined by Miss World 1973 1st Runner-Up Evangeline Pascual, Bb. Pilipinas Universe 1982 Maria Isabel Lopez, Miss International 2005 Precious Lara Quigaman and Miss Grand International 2013 3rd Runner-Up Ali Forbes as mentors. According to Joyce’s post about the show itself, this will be “a reality TV show that will show viewers just how strict the selection process of candidates is and just how rigorous the training can be for those who compete.”
Qualifications for those who will join, plus the specific TV network to air the same, will be made known soon. Stay tuned for more updates on “Pinay Beauty Queen Academy”. 😉
courtesy of GMANETWORK
For the second time around, Richard Gutierrez will host Survivor Philippines. In its 4th season, the twist centers on the Celebrity Doubles Showdown where ten (10) pairs of celebrities with different affiliations will try to outlast each other to win the PhP3 Million Top Prize as Sole Survivor.
The competition was entirely shot in beautiful, remote and still relatively untamed San Vicente, Palawan with the approval of US-based Castaway Productions. The place is like paradise tucked away in the islands around the province. According to reports, this group of castaways has been the most complaint-filled, most whining and most controversial in all the four seasons of the show.
Starting tonight on GMA-7’s Telebabad, the popular reality program will unfold. Airing Mondays to Fridays, see who among the 20 castaways will fill the show with drama and excitement and who will physically and mentally excel in all the challenges and strategizing involved.
Nood na, mga Katribo! 😉