During the FB Live interview of The Qrown Philippines earlier, Bb. Pilipinas World 1999 Lalaine Edson-Forgham was asked to set the record straight regarding the incidents that transpired right after the finals of Miss World 1999 when she “disappeared” and was rumored to have been “kidnapped” at the time. The following were her revelations:
1) No, she was not “kidnapped” at all. Her father was sick then and underwent a triple bypass procedure. She had to look after him after losing her mom just years earlier.
2) Yes, she met her future husband through the introduction of her MW1999 roommate Marsha from Hong Kong. And she also fell in love with Mr. Forgham.
3) Lalaine also admitted that her head was not in the right space then. She felt that her life was so strict and needed to breathe from it all.
4) She wished she could have crowned her Bb. Pilipinas successor. But that’s all in the past now.
5) She has not communicated with BPCI ever since.
6) She still communicates with her fellow Bb. Pilipinas titleholders, but admits to being the closest to Bb. Pilipinas International 1999 Georgina Sandico.
7) She trained in Venezuela under Osmel Sousa and she wore a Halston evening gown for the finals.
8) She likes the way beauty pageants in the Philippines are being handled for the past few and wished that she was still younger so she could have experienced it now.
9) Lalaine trained for Japan and Miss International initially, so she had to make major adjustments with Miss World.
10) The first time she met Yukta Mookhey of India, she immediately surmised that the short-list for that year’s winner got even shorter. She knew that the tall Indian rep was in it to firmly win it.
Photo credit: Tony Paat
1999 was bittersweet for all its worth for Bb. Pilipinas. Bitter because for the second consecutive year (<em>and third overall if I’m not mistaken</em>), the crowned winner of the Bb. Pilipinas Universe title – Janelle Bautista – was dethroned because of citizenship problems. Sweet because – in her place – the original Bb. Pilipinas World Miriam Quiambao took over and went on to place 1st Runner-Up to Mpule Kwelagobe of Botswana in Trinidad and Tobago. Up to now, I really feel that Donald Trump gave the thumbs-up for Miss Philippines to win that year. The Final 3 Q&A, though, really got into the nerves of Miriam and had to be happy with her placement – the first ever second-place finish for the Philippines in Miss Universe. As for Lalaine Edson getting promoted to Bb. Pilipinas World, I really had my reservations because she was just this fair-skinned halfie who must have been greatly helped by the influence of the late German Moreno in getting a crown in the first place. 2nd Runner-Up Joelle Pelaez or 1st Runner-Up Michelle Arcangel were more deserving in my opinion. And we all know now what happened to Lalaine in London for Miss World – during especially after the competition when she went “missing” and was reported to have been “kidnapped” by a foreigner-lover and forced into marriage. I bet our regulars here know more about those mysterious circumstances.
Janelle Bradford (nee Bautista) with her husband and children
Her name is Avonlea Paula Paraiso.
The first time I met and briefly spoke with 5’6.5″ Avonlea Paula Paraiso was last April when she attended the victory party of Bb. Pilipinas International 2014 Bianca Guidotti. Back then, she was mulling about taking the pageant route via Miss Philippines Earth 2015. I told her to check out all her options first since there are other competitions to consider.
This girl, who might initially give some readers a Lalaine Edson-ish vibe, was actually 1st Runner-Up during Miss Resorts World Manila 2013 won by Nikita Pia McElroy. Other than that attempt, she decided to go low profile first. She concentrated on her main talent, and that is playing the harp (watch video below). And this could instantly convince others that she might be a better match for Miss World Philippines 2015 instead.
courtesy of blurry penguin
What do you think, dear readers? Should she make the beeline at Gateway, Carousel Gardens or wherever Ms. Cory Quirino will set up shop next year? 😉
Avonlea Paraiso finished 1st Runner-Up in the recent finals of Miss Resorts World Manila 2013.
18 years old, standing 5’8″ and 1st Runner-Up in the Miss Resorts World Manila 2013 finals held last weekend. That’s Avonlea Paraiso for you. A Lalaine Edson deadringer for some.
You might ask. So what’s so unique and special about Avonlea that you haven’t seen in other potential candidates so far? Well, she plays the harp (watch the video below). So the next comment would read like…”this girl is for Miss World Philippines!”
And my answer would be: “I believe she is more interested in Bb. Pilipinas if ever.”
So let’s just wait and see where she will eventually sign up.
courtesy of xBabyMonster