The quote below is the best information I can provide about the next edition of Miss Universe for now. This forms part of the message sent to all National Directors a week before Christmas last month.
…”As we evaluate the current global crisis, health measures, travel restrictions, delegate participation, and the distribution of a promising vaccine, we find it in everyone’s best interest to extend the date of our national competition and now anticipate it to be later in April or May 2021. We hope that this extension will allow you more time to prepare your delegate.
On a separate note, we will have more information regarding the National Costume Show after the New Year, as we are weighing several options, including virtual.”
What gives me the chills is that the organization is including the possibility of a virtual pageant among its options – something that I hope will never happen to our favorite pageant.
During the Virtual Press Conference hosted by Miss Universe Singapore National Director Valerie Lim – along with the 2019 titleholder Mohanaprabha Selvam – the representative of Singapore to the 69th Miss Universe was formally introduced. She is Bernadette Belle Wu Ong.
26 year-old Belle is Philippine-born to full Chinese parents. At the age of 10, her family migrated to Singapore and has been staying there ever since. So it shouldn’t surprise you that she is just as fluent in Filipino as she is in English and Conversational Mandarin. Professionally, she is an Events Host, Actress and Professional Model.
Belle will undergo part of her trainings here in Manila before the Miss Universe competition in 2021. She was initially delegated for Miss Charm International in Vietnam. But with the pandemic and limitations, the organization has decided to send her to MU instead.
Bernadette Belle is a woman of the world. A model, host and actress, Belle has lived and worked both in Singapore and abroad, making her an excellent communicator who can relate to a variety of cultures and backgrounds. She is a diligent hardworker who believes in continuous learning. She has also worked 4 jobs to put herself through school while she was in Australia. A graduate of Accounting and Finance, she is also trained in the culinary arts.
Do watch a video of Belle during last year’s national competition.
The pageant community will always crave for any information about the staging of Miss Universe. And thus far, the rumors going around are that:
1) The 69th edition will be hosted in the Sunshine State of the USA- or Florida if you will.
2) The 69th Edition will happen around February, 2021 for a period of 15-17 days.
3) The 69th Miss Universe will be crowned on Valentine’s Day.
All three items above are definitely unconfirmed.
From where I blog, the possible truths so far are below:
1) The Miss Universe Organization could neither confirm the host location nor the inclusive dates. First quarter of 2021 is being strongly looked at, however.
2) The Miss Universe Organization has gotten in touch with the different National Directors to gather materials about their respective delegates to be used on the website, souvenir program and other promotional materials.
3) The headshots should be submitted by December 31. Guidance has been clearly provided to ensure a manageable uniformity of shots. The primary instruction is to feature the delegate as a strong and powerful woman.
4) No photographs will be shot on location and only submitted photos will be used. Hence, Fadil Berisha (or any official glam photographer for that matter) will not be present.
Only these four (4) latter items are close to being called “facts” to date.
Your thoughts, dear readers?