I am reposting the article published by Rappler.com about the Miss Universe franchise in the Philippines.
Some messages from contacts in my inbox are asking if this is a case of “She said, He said” after Madame Stella Marquez de Araneta was quoted as saying (during the Karen Gallman sendoff) that the franchise is still with BPCI. Now, Governor Chavit Singson is claiming that the franchise is with him (check the Screenshot below of his interview with Philippine Star).
Well, until the official announcement from MUO gets published, I will not give my personal opinion. Yet.
Here now is the Rappler article:
Chavit Singson: Miss Universe Philippines franchise ‘already with me’
The former Ilocos Sur governor says a formal announcement will be made by the Miss Universe Organization soon
Published 12:18 PM, January 13, 2019
Updated 12:30 PM, January 13, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Former Ilocos Sur governor Luis “Chavit” Singson said that he has acquired the Miss Universe Philippines franchise.
In an interview with the Philippine Star published Sunday, January 13, Singson told columnist Wilson Flores that the Philippine Miss Universe franchise is “already with [him].”
“True, the franchise is already with me, but it has not yet been announced. I think it shall be formally announced this January or February, when Catriona comes back again to the Philippines,” Singson said.
“Binibining Pilipinas Universe will be replaced with ‘Miss Universe Philippines.’ Noon pa binibigay sa akin ‘yan (It was being offered to me since before), because I’ve been helping them since 2016.”
Candidates for the Miss Universe pageant are selected by local franchise owners. These local franchises are owned by either an individual or an organization. The Binibining Pilipinas Charities Inc (BPCI), which runs the Binibining Pilipinas pageant, has had the Miss Universe franchise since 1964.
Let the discussion begin now.
Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray got to eat Pinoy food in NYC when she had a shoot with New York Post at Flip Sigi – the Filipino Taqueria on Hudson St. owned by Fil-Am Celebrity Chef Jordan Andino (left photo with our Queen).
Watch the brief video clip below.
And below is an extra video footage of Queen Cat’s interview with PageantryNOW during Media Week:
Since yesterday, I spent time with Miss Supranational 2013 Mutya Johanna Datul when we both took part in the judging/prejudging of Miss Kuyamis 2019 in Misamis Oriental. She remains the sweet lady I have always known her for. And just last night before we boarded our delayed flight back to Manila, she was in her best elements to regale me with a lot of stories and anecdotes about her training for the international competition, during the time in Belarus and after winning the crown.
Do keep in mind that she kept a low profile for four (4) years so whatever we talked about sounded like it just happened recently. The following points will give you a good idea why she was destined to become our first Miss Supranational titleholder:
1. During one of her personality training sessions with Mr Fritz Ynfante of BPCI then, she was asked the question, “On a scale of 1 to 10, what do you think is your IQ (intelligence quotient)?” Mutya answered sheepishly but with honesty. “Sir, I think my IQ is zero.” Thereafter, the trainor pulled her out of training and brought her upstairs to the Bb. Pilipinas personnel. She thought that she would be publicly embarrased with her reply.
On the contrary, Mr Fritz announced to everyone that Mutya is definitely going to be a winner abroad, stating that he has never ever heard any beauty queen bravely admitting that her IQ is zero.
2. Mutya had three flight segments on her way to the host country of Belarus – Manila to Hongkong, Hongkong to Moscow and Moscow to Minsk. She admitted feeling lost. Literally. The huge airport in Hong Kong intimidated her. And in Russia, she had to check out then check in her four big luggage for the connecting flight to Minsk. She felt tired and drained doing so because she had to lift and push everything on her own. And mind you, all her things were packed inside wheel-less luggage with traditional locks surrounding the entire frame.
3. Mutya arrived in Belarus with a nervous smile, but quickly relied on her natural sense of humor and charming ways to get to the heart of everyone – from fellow candidates to organizers to the President of Miss Supranational (Gerhard Parzutka Von Lipinski) himself. She approached everyday with a sunny disposition and greeted everyone with a loud “Good morning” every breakfast.
4. Gerhard was especially fond of Mutya who can make him laugh and amused at the same time. One day, she told him that she can snack on insects – crickets, beetles and grasshoppers. At first, he could not believe what he is hearing but saw her sincerity.
5. During one of the activities of Miss Supranational 2013, the candidates were joined by “Santa Claus” – a personification of a childhood dream that made Mutya run like a kid to hug and pinch the cheeks of the chubby performer. She even shared her fervent wish to “Santa Claus” – to win Miss Supranational.
6. Mutya was closest to all the Asian candidates – specifically Misses Hongkong and Malaysia. But everyone actually adored her that she can call each one of them as sisters. She just surmised that she is not the Miss Friendship type as her sense of humor is uniquely seen by others as a winning quality and not just to be voted upon for congeniality purpose.
7. Mutya missed eating rice and Pinoy food so much when she was in Belarus. But everytime she felt hungry, she innocently (and in a straightforward manner) approached the President of Miss Supranational with a request – “Gerhard, I’m hungry.” She would get her preferred soup, bread and main course each time she would ask. If there is one kind of upset she doesn’t like, it is feeling hunger. And this is one of the qualities that the organization loved so much about her – the simplicity and honesty all wrapped up in a spontaneous and lovable personality.
8. During finals night, Mutya was asked by the organizers to specifically wear the white gown they set aside for her. Little did she know of the implication – she was slowly being clued in for the victory in front of the judges.
9. When she was named Miss Supranational 2013, Mutya was not even aware of how much she won. She was perfectly happy bringing home the equivalent of P25,000.00. The morning after, she was summoned by the organizers. She was shown the amount she won on a piece of paper. Shocked, she was far from jumping for joy – the reaction expected of her by Gerhard. She just got richer by US$25,000.00. And she could not even mentally calculate the conversion to Philippine money. It was just a big shower of blessings that left her lost for words.
10. During her reign, Mutya travelled to different countries. In each trip, the organizers would always give her shopping money (USD400 on the average per country). Instead of actually splurging on new clothes and stuff, she practically saved everything. She just brought home ref magnets as take home souvenirs to family and friends.