The video above of top Thai MUA Bryan Tan is in their language. So I sought my contact in Bangkok (who is a pageant follower) to have the video summarized for its important points. Suffice it to say that, the one-minute video of Catriona right after the announcement of Bangkok, Thailand as host city of Miss Universe 2018 was more than enough to jump start a sudden rise in popularity for her. In fact, the Thais are reportedly switching their support from their Sophida Kanchanarin to our Miss Universe Philippines 2018.
Here are the rough translations in bullet form:
– He likes the strategy of Miss Philippines and he thinks Cat is No. 1 for Miss Universe 2018. Cat can win the crown as Thais are moved by the video.
– First after the video of Catriona was released, it gained huge popularity among Thai supporters such that she already has a huge fan base.
– most of the Thais appreciate not only her beauty but her will and hunger to win. They appreciate the hardwork.
– Thai fans see that there are prettier candidates but Catriona is someone they can look up to. And they are eagerly awaiting for her arrival in November.
– Bryan is wowed by the preparation of the Philippines and sees our bet as a good tactician. But one thing that he is concerned about is if MUO will see Catriona as too prepared and rehearsed. Anything too much won’t be good.
– Bryan added that there should no longer be fighting between Thais and Pinoys this year.
My Thai contact added that the second most popular pre-arrival candidate is Miss USA Sarah Rose Summers. And she is being seen as the biggest threat to our bet. Running third in popularity is Angela Ponce of Spain, although the mixed reactions to her candidacy is still very much prevalent.
What your early thoughts, dear readers?