“There’s no boyfriend rule. It’s not forbidden to be with somebody as long as you focus on your duties, you know your responsibilities, and you don’t let it disrupt you…”
The quote above was lifted from an interview with Miss Universe 2015 Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach last January on whether the titleholder is allowed to have a boyfriend or not during her reign.
Truly, I could not fathom the negative reactions of a lot of Queen P’s fans regarding her dating relationship with the popular Dr. Mike Varshavski. There are several interpretations to it:
1) The fans do not want Miss Universe distracted from her duties and responsibilities.
2) The fans are afraid that Miss Universe might get hooked on the relationship that it might develop deeper than what is allowed by the Miss Universe Organization.
3) The fans do not want to share Miss Universe with a “dedicated” man in her life, at least not till her reign is completed.
4) The fans are afraid that Miss Universe might get pregnant.
5) The fans just don’t like Dr. Mike and feel that he might just be using Miss Universe to gain more popularity.
6) The fans don’t want Miss Universe to have a boyfriend for now.
7) The fans could not or will not understand the fact that Miss Universe is simply taking inspiration from the relationship and is intelligent enough not to commit anything that would jeopardize her reign.
8) The fans want Miss Universe to just focus on her advocacies.
I can come up with more but I’m getting tired of playing shrink in something that is getting blown out of proportion.
I am not her close friend or confidant, but I don’t think Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach will ever go to the deep end of the relationship. Can’t we just all agree to trust her in this case?
Fans are over-reacting, being too parental even. I can agree with avoiding the posting of photos where Queen P & Dr. M are becoming much too relaxed for their own good. But to actually make assumptions that our Miss Universe might get foolish in her actions and ways is like saying that she cannot be trusted enough to keep her head above her heart.
From the beginning (that is, when I made my first blog post about the relationship being official), I have always looked at things as a mature adult. There’s no sense in acting like over-protective guardians because our Miss Universe is intelligent enough to set her priorities straight. Can’t we cut her some slack in this one?
Would it have been more preferable if they kept everything a secret? If you ask me, that is relatively more agitating for the fans because if the story does come out, the fact that they tried to hide it will seem sketchy.