Stills from the Miss Grand Philippines 2014 Press Presentation
Miss Grand International 2013 3rd Runner-Up Ali Forbes wearing the brand-new crown of Miss Grand Philippines 2014.
On a rainy Thursday afternoon, the Press Presentation of Miss Grand Philippines 2014 took place at The Hub@Kilometer Zero. Good thing it was held indoors. The downpour alternated between strong drizzles and flash rains. But rain or shine, the organizers remained undaunted. The enthusiastic contenders pulled it through, regardless. Hosted by Binibini 36 Krystal Alonday from Bb. Pilipinas 2014, the whole program moved at a quick pace when it started a little past 3pm and wrapped up before 5pm. Pageant Director John dela Vega also spoke about his long-term plans for the national pageant he started.
As you all know by now (and based on my previous post introducing the ladies), there are no familiar names and faces among the wannabes. And you could look at it two ways. For starters, the competition is fair game for the OCs. There is no particular bet being automatically seeded for the win this early. On the other hand, some quarters feel that this is quite a risky move because there are higher expectations on the Philippine rep to Miss Grand International 2014 coming from a fourth-place finish last year courtesy of Ali Forbes who was already a Bb. Pilipinas-trained runner-up prior to her stint in Bangkok.
Be that as it may – and inspite of the less-than-pleasant feedbacks early on – there are a few potential surprise performers in the roster. With dedicated training, styling and make-over to the eventual winner, whoever will make that trip to the Land of Smiles could still provide good competition vis-a-vis the foreign delegates from all over the world.
The ladies of Miss Grand Philippines 2014 in their blue Dennis Santos 2-piece swimsuits
The Miss Grand Philippines 2014 Official Candidates
1. Ivy Meerry Enriquez (Bataan)
2. Charlianne Lapitaje (Bukidnon)
3. Rosanna Andrea Reniva (Ilocos Sur)
4. Joanne Tampoco (Camarines Sur)
5. Cynthia C. Caldona (Dagupan City)
6. Shaira Nicole Novicio (Manila)
7. Rosevemme Marie Fajardo (Surigao del Sur)
8. Hyra Desiree Betito (Surigao del Norte)
9. Kimberly Karlsson (Oriental Mindoro)
10. Kathleen Matillano (Bacolod City)
11. Jean Marie Feliciano (La Union)
12. Edlean Sierra (Rizal)
13. Apple Anne Michelle Bartolome (Kalinga)
14. Kristine Lozano (La Union)
15. Mary Theresa Erna Gomez (Tarlac)
16. Princess Dana Gail Rockwell (Valenzuela City)
17. Maria Jessica Oribe (Valenzuela City)
18. Princess Airaden Gonzales (Isabela)
19. Kristine Mae Rojas (Zambales)
Some of the girls I'm keeping an eye on are scattered in the images above.
So far, my early choices are equestrian Kimberly Karlsson, ballerina Mary Theresa Erna Gomez, tall Ilongga Kathleen Matillano and celebrity (Erich Gonzales) look-alike Rosevemme Marie Fajardo from Surigao del Norte.
Let’s see how things will pan out before the finals two weeks from now.